Friday, September 28, 2007

Le Shopping

So, what do YOU do on a rainy day? Go to a movie or go shopping, n'est-ce pas? Well, that's what we Parisians do, too. And we all shop at the same place at the same time - Galeries LaFayette. They were having an anniversary sale, 15% off of anything. The scarves were flying off the shelves and you'd better stay out of the way because most people were not caring if they snatched a scarf or your wrist. It was a nasty, bloody scene. Reminded me of a Picasso painting. The poor girl in charge of re-folding the scarves was having a nervous breakdown. I managed to get out with one scarf, no wounds. I also HAD to buy a pair of boots. No, I really did. The only closed toe shoes I brought were boots with heels and canvas shoes. The canvas shoes will be ruined in the wet, muddy streets, and I tried wearing the high-heeled boots shopping today, thinking I would be riding the metro more than walking. My feet lasted until halfway through the BHV, a store that has everything from toilets to toiletries, and then I knew I wasn't going to make it all day. I took the metro to Galeries Lafayette and bought a pair of "bottines," low boots with two straps and rubber soles. Very practical but stylish, and definitely more comfortable.

Today is the only day I went without my camera and I really regretted it! I wanted to take pictures of the shoes! Everything is becoming more extreme: the stacked heels are getting bigger and higher, the platform soles had to be four inches high, the tennis shoes high-top, low-top, and in between, and silver, gold, fluorescent, patterned, striped, you-name-it. But, the BIG things is boots. Most of them have really high heels and really pointy toes. A very popular look is the cowboy "bottine." In fact, our "Old West" seems to be "de rigueur" here right now.

When I got really tired and had to rest at Maxim's :) I had a yummy "riz au lait avec son coulis de fruits," in other words, rice pudding. The French make it a little runny and give you a berry coulis to drizzle on it yourself. The problem with dining alone is that you don't have anyone to say "mmmmm" to. And - I washed it down with a glass of champagne! Am I treating myself right or what? Well, I'm having a sandwich for dinner.

Yesterday I went to a movie, American, English version, with Jodie Foster. I had never heard of it before; it was called "A Vif" in French which means sharp, or brisk or lively, and they translated it to "The Brave One." I doubt that it was ever called that in the U.S. It doesn't sound creative enough. Anyway, it was really a gripping movie, not the kind any of you would want to see, judging from past experience, but I loved it. I saw it in the early afternoon so I wouldn't have to walk home in the dark.

Tomorrow, my last day here, I'm going to a flea market on the other side of town. It's supposed to be a once-a-year affair and it's called Marche aux Puces and Jambon (ham). I'm not sure what the significance of the ham is.

I don't have any new photos for you today, so I'll see if I can put together a slide show of pictures I've taken along the way. The first three are for Connie. She'll know why. :)

Louis Vuitton

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What's this?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Another face-lift.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,
What a perfect way to spend a rather drab Saturday afternoon-reading your blog and thoroughly enjoying the text and of course the beautiful photos you took.
I can't wait to hear more and review the blogs with you so your memory will bring back all the things that would take too long to write about.
No more gigantic "valises" in front of Vuitton? Did Krysta have anything she wanted you to pick up there for her this time??
Well, I'll be heading for Trader Joe's shortly. It opened yesterday. Made front page news in the Herald. Imagine if Bellinghamsters could see La Grande Epicerie-Trader Joseph might be history.
Hope you get this response. Have fun in Belge and keep taking pictures!